Filtered water (on tap) and a totally unnecessary piece of plastic
Today the family decided that they wanted to have Sushi for lunch. So we headed to Yo Sushi on Princes Street. Not only was it delicious but every table had triple filtered still and fizzy water on tap, as part of their ‘zero waste society’. While there are plenty of people who object to paying for water (I get it) I really appreciated this as I enjoy ‘fizzy water’ and haven’t had any since we left home (and our soda stream).
Less impressive was Edinburgh Zoo for its single use paid parking ticket which was unfortunately a rather large plastic sticker for the windscreen. Now this may be a ‘small’ thing but we believe unnecessary single use plastic items should be ‘called out’ as part of plastic free July. There is absolutely no need for the parking ticket to be plastic as we pointed out in our correspondence with the Edinburgh Zoo.
5 July 2019 Update: I received a personal and very friendly reply from Edinburgh Zoo. I was pleased to learn that the Zoo have recently halved the number of car park tickets issued as they are no longer required for members. However, at this stage some form of car park ticket is necessary as a record or ‘receipt’. Paper tickets are ‘not generally suitable’ as staff work outside in all weather conditions, so they decided to use the ‘sticker’ as they could be kept as a souvenir. They acknowledged that they are not currently recyclable and that is definitely something that we will bear in mind before reordering when we get through our current stock (which isn’t too far away!)

No comments:
Post a Comment