Monday, July 10, 2017

Day 10 More Plastic than Fish in the Ocean

The ocean is filled with about 165 million tons of plastic

"If we keep doing what we are doing now, scientists estimate that by 2050 there is going to be more plastic than fish in the world's oceans"

Today, like most work days I cycled to work along Dandenong Creek. Most days I am struck by how fortunate I am to have such a lovely commute to work. Tonight I was listening to the Magpies warble and the Frogs croak, watching the sun set as I chased the last half hour of day light on my ride home. Then it stuck me just how much plastic had been washed in the Creek after the storm earlier in the day. How in all the years I have been cycling along the creek I've never stopped to think about just how much plastic is being washed into the creek on its way into Port Phillip Bay.

So today I decided to add another element to our family's plastic free July challenge - to pick up and remove plastic from our local creeks, it might only be a couple of pieces (quite literally a drop in the ocean) but it will help and if it inspires others to do the same then it will make a difference.

My suggestions for an addition to Plastic Free July:

  • This month please take three pieces of rubbish with you when you leave the beach, waterway or…anywhere. Visit: http://www.take3.org

    Questions

    How many times this month have you simply walked past plastic discarded in water - be it creek or ocean?
    Could you make a difference, and inspire someone else to do the same?

    No comments:

    Post a Comment